The framework of Orbit is built on the strength of our team
Support and opportunity with Orbit
Orbit offers a competitive package and benefits associated with a fast moving start-up company. We have an open and collaborative culture and pride ourselves on the inclusive philosophy within the organization.
3 weeks ago
Research Scientist - Cell-Free Expression System and Unnatural Amino Acid Incorporation
The position will play a key role in the development of cell-free translation systems and unnatural amino acid incorporation to be utilised in the Orbit peptide discovery platform. The main responsibilities will be developing cell-free expression systems, purifying and charging tRNAs, developing incorporation of non-natural amino acids and producing recombinant proteins. In addition, you will assist the daily running of the lab and maintenance of the equipment. This role is critical to our success by helping to ensure and improve the performance of our cell-free translation system and to expand its utility in incorporation of non-natural amino acids in peptide libraries. You must be a highly organised, collaborative, detail-oriented scientist possessing knowledge and experience in molecular biology and biochemistry with an ability to produce work to a high standard. The position requires a PhD or MSc, preferably with an industry background. You will have the opportunity to be trained in other technologies, be a key member of the team and will benefit from an excellent remuneration package including share options. Job Responsibilities
- Synthesise cell-free systems for in-house usage.
- Assist in optimising cell-free expression systems and help establish routine production procedures.
- Troubleshoot equipment and methods within the process development of cell-free system.
- QC of cell-free system.
- Test orthogonal tRNA and aminoacyl tRNA synthetase.
- Synthesize and purify tRNAs.
- Produce recombinant proteins for nonnatural amino acid incorporation.
- Perform IVTT assays to synthesise uAA-incorporated proteins.
- Purify uAA-incorporated proteins for LCMS analysis.
- Maintain best practice, quality standards and accurate record keeping.
- Keep up to date with and support implementation of new technologies and protocols.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the company and with collaborators.
- Have focus on both short- and medium-term objectives.
- Ensure laboratory records are complete, accurate and up to date.
- Thrive in an environment of openness, teamwork and accountability.
- Support general lab duties, e.g. reagent preparation, cleaning and stocking.
- Write drafts of scientific reports for internal use and communication with partner companies.
- Identify potentially platform improvements.
- Present research to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Ensure that your work in the department is conducted safely, and legally in accordance with the highest standards of data protections.
- Adhere to the values of the company policies and practices.
- PhD or MSc in molecular biology and biochemistry.
- At least 2 years industry or academia working experience.
- Experience with protein purification, PCR, Western blot and bacteria culture.
- Capacity to execute tasks independently to achieve company goals on an established timeline.
- Superb communication, organization, attention-to-details, multi-tasking, adaptability and teamwork skills.
- Knowledge of, and appreciation for, laboratory safety procedures.
- Enthusiasm to work in a dynamic research environment.
- Experience of working in production environment.
- Experience with the use of AKTA system.
- Hands-on experience in a variety of molecular biology and biochemistry techniques.
Work with us
Orbit is always interested in scientists with experience in molecular biology, assay development, protein expression. If you feel that you have the necessary qualities, we would like to hear from you.