The framework of Orbit is built on the strength of our team
Support and opportunity with Orbit
Orbit offers a competitive package and benefits associated with a fast moving start-up company. We have an open and collaborative culture and pride ourselves on the inclusive philosophy within the organization.
3 months ago
Sceening Scientist - Affinity Screening
Screening Scientist (level I or II) – Affinity Screening About us Orbit Discovery is a rapidly growing biotech company specialising in peptide drug discovery, built on a novel screening platform developed at the University of Oxford. Orbit Discovery is well funded, with the opportunity to develop highly efficacious peptide-based biological drugs, which are suitable and affordable for large patient groups. Orbit works in collaboration with major pharmaceutical companies in co-development projects. Orbit Discovery offers a comprehensive employment package to its staff, including competitive salary, access to share options and a range of additional employee benefits. Overview of the Role We are seeking a self-motivated, energetic, and diligent Scientist (level 1 or 2, depending on experience) to join our affinity screening team. You will be working within Orbit’s Affinity Screening team playing a key role in designing and conducting affinity screens for a range of commercial and internal projects using Orbit Discovery’s unique bead-based peptide display engine to identify hit peptides for drug discovery. Work will involve the use of many techniques such as microfluidics, (emulsion) PCR, qPCR, in vitro transcription and translation, flow cytometry including sorting, diverse molecular assays, and next generation sequencing. You will also prepare data for reports and presentations within the company and assist in the drafting and review of laboratory protocols. Full training will be provided but a good understanding of molecular biology and experience with any of the above techniques (especially flow cytometry) would be an advantage, as would experience with other display screening technologies (e.g., phage display). The position is a lab-based role, demanding an enthusiastic and proactive mindset, along with good organisational skill, an ability for problem solving, flexibility and attention to detail. The successful candidate will be given opportunities for training and development and will be encouraged to contribute to implementing new technologies and processes. Job Responsibilities
- Perform high-throughput affinity screens.
- Independently design, perform and analyse experiments.
- Handling and preparation of beads for analysis by flow cytometry.
- Performing binding and sorting (FACS) experiments.
- Preparing, running, analysing, and interpreting next generation sequencing.
- Performing PCR, in vitro transcription translation and other assays as required.
- Analyse, interpret and summarise results for presentation at internal meetings.
- Contributing to discussions and sharing research findings with colleagues.
- Documenting research findings clearly in an electronic lab book.
- Assist in producing and collating procedures, guidelines, and reports.
- Prepare project plans and reports.
- Contribute to general lab duties.
- Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively to meet changing demands of projects.
- Scientist I: A minimum of an MSc in a biology related discipline with ideally two years of (industry) laboratory experience, or BSc and four years (industry) laboratory experience.
- Scientist II: PhD in a biology related discipline, or a minimum of an MSc with four years of (industry) laboratory experience.
- Expertise in flow cytometry (including data analysis).
- Broad knowledge of biological sciences with an emphasis on molecular biology or protein binding.
- Ability to design and perform experiments using molecular biology or basic analytical techniques such as ELISA, PCR or qPCR.
- Willingness to learn new techniques.
- Strong communication and team working skills.
- Capable of troubleshooting technical issues and ability to develop a solid understanding of the direction and design of a given project.
- Ability to independently follow a project plan as well as design and perform experiments within its remit and plan according to schedule of project plan.
- Practical experience in flow cytometry and FACS.
- Practical experience with other display technologies or screening platforms.
- Practical experience of assay development.
- Experience with next generation sequencing and bioinformatics.
- Practical experience in protein-protein interaction studies.
Work with us
Orbit is always interested in scientists with experience in molecular biology, assay development, protein expression. If you feel that you have the necessary qualities, we would like to hear from you.